Originally posted on Medium I’ve spent some time recently incorporating React Native components into our existing app This comes with the extra requirement of release builds requiring the creation of the bundle file I would have expected this to be a straightforward, well documented workflow, but was unfortunately a bit disappointed. It took a bit…
Last week I setup a project to use Crashlytics for Android as our crash reporting tool.
Use Crashlytics (NEW) and Perf Monitoring to increase app retention and keep users happy!#FirebaseSummit live → https://t.co/eSmn1vZtaf pic.twitter.com/1tZAM4jzZN
This week, at the Firebase Dev Summit, support was announced for Crashlytics issue reporting from within your existing Firebase console.
Since I prefer to use as few different service consoles as possible, I wanted to migrate over to the new Firebase Crashlytics reporting. It was a pretty straightforward process with a couple small gotchas, so I thought I would share what I found.
I recently wrote about how we adopted Kotlin as the main development language for Android on the mobile team at Udacity. No Title Just in time for @kotlinconf See how we’ve been using @kotlin for #androiddev on the mobile team @udacity https://t.co/Am0wFX9DXx Check out the original posts here: Udacity Engineering Blog Udacity India Blog If…
DroidconNYC ’17 was my first time attending any Droidcon event. Between the speakers list, the city, and then the released schedule, I had high hopes going into the event.
I’m very happy to say it did not disappoint.
Below are some of my favorite highlights and takeaways from the event.
This past week I came across a page in the Google developer documentation for a new plugin and related library in Google Play services for Including Open Source Notices.
Displaying open source notices is certainly important, but it also tends to be a tedious and sometimes painful process so I was intrigued by the promise of a simplified workflow that could nearly automate the process.
I decided to give it a quick try. Quick is an appropriate term here, because It really did take only a few minutes to get a working example up and running to quickly evaluate the new tools.
I’ll explain how I made my evaluation below, but the tl;dr is … this is probably not the tool you are looking for. Unless all the libraries you’re using have the correct license info included in the POM (they probably all don’t), you’re most likely going to want to find a different solution.
This is not the tool you’re looking for…probably.
I’m a big fan of Databinding for Android, and have been using it with much success for a while now.
Every once in a while though, I end up with a baffling error that grinds productivity to a halt. The most recent error looked like this:
cannot generate view binders java.lang.StackOverflowError
A while back, I wrote about simplifying our app distribution process using Beta by Crashlytics.
Since that time, I had been thinking (and receiving questions) about how to handle multiple buildTypes and productFlavors more gracefully. When I originally described our approach we only needed to worry about a single build target. After a while, we added a second productFlavor and the fastest solution was to simply copy our custom gradle tasks and make new versions for the new build target.
That solution got us up and running quickly, but it always bothered me that we now had a sizable chunk of duplicate code in our gradle file. When it came time to add yet another product flavor, the time had come to think about a better solution
Thankfully, it was pretty easy to leverage the power of gradle to create custom distribution tasks for each buildType/productFlavor combination without having to manually duplicate any code.